How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: your used hearing aids should be donated instead of getting rid of.
There are lots of people suffering from hearing loss who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and several organizations out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- About 14% of the overall population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some kind of hearing loss
- Nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
This is really worrisome. Because untreated hearing loss has been associated with multiple health issues from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. The importance of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new research being released all of the time. These health problems can be avoided and in certain cases reversed by hearing aids.
And loss of hearing will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very compelling point. But that expense can actually be decreased by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it may simply not be possible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a tremendous impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are many volunteer organizations and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.